Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Looking for work in the digital age

Today, Class, we'll discuss how much different looking for work is today versus the last time we did it. Sixteen years ago, you looked in the paper for jobs, you networked around, and when you found something promising, you mailed off a resume, followed up with a phone call or maybe a personal visit.

Today, it's all digital, all the time. Everything is done online. The job search? Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, TheLadders.com, search engine this and profile that (other thoughts about that here). Networking is all done on the Internet, too: LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, etc. If you don't have 100 friends, you feel like a non-entity. Phone calls or appointments? Forget it!

A friend told me a story about a young man she knows who is thinking of moving to Peoria from Chicago (huh?). He applied for a bank job, then drove down here in his suit and tie, and went into the bank. Can I see the person making the hiring decision, he says to the receptionist. No, you can't - applications online only. Look, he says, I have a wife and twins on the way, and I need a job.; can't I please at least talk to someone so they have a face with a name? If I give you that name then I'll be looking for a job, too, says the receptionist.

I can't help but think that the majority of good jobs are still secured the old fashioned way - talk to somebody who knows somebody. It's not as easy to do in the digital age, but I've always been quick on the uptake, so I'll adapt.

Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment