Monday, December 7, 2009

in which our hero presents 30 things he loves about the C&D...

Years with zeros lend themselves to reflection, whether it's a birthday or anniversary. The Charming and Delightful, my beloved Lynn Ann, became my bride 30 years ago on December 7, 1979. The last three decades haven't gone quite how I imagined - but our amazing and wonderful love story has been better than I could have ever hoped for.

So in honor of our anniversary, here are 30 things I love about my wife, in no particular order:

1. She loves Jesus.
2. Whenever I say I like something, I get more of it. I said I liked her hair longer about 25 years ago, and she hasn't cut it short since.
3. She's taught me how to be less selfish. By following her example all these years, I've learned to be more other-centered.
4. Our home is decorated with warmth, comfort and great taste. Either that, or she's trained me to like whatever she does.
5. She doesn't make me carry her purse in public unless it's absolutely necessary.
6. Being her husband makes me want to be a better person.
7. She did most of the dirty work raising our girls without me, for the most part. I was too busy growing up or working.
8. She doesn't really ask for much.
9. She loves dogs.
10. Her unerring common sense. Every time I haven't listened to it, I've paid a heavy price.
11. The way she relates to her students is a joy to watch.
12. Her hair. I absolutely love her hair!
13. She's very soft.
14. I love how whenever we're on the road and stop in a drive-through, she always opens up my sandwich and folds back the wrapper.
15. She's a great road warrior: never needs to stop except for gas and food.
16. I love how she won't give up on fall as a season and Thanksgiving as a holiday - no Christmas after Halloween at our house...
17. She laughs at all my jokes, even the stupid ones.
18. She loves watching football on TV - the only time we've had a disagreement about watching sports was when I wanted to watch a NASCAR race instead of football.
19. I love how she gave up cooking with onions and green peppers because I don't like them.
20. I love her cooking - I don't eat pancakes or waffles from a box, they're always from scratch. And her sugar cookies are to die for!
21. When I watch my two daughters make their own homes now, I love how she taught them to be the women they are.
22. I love all the surrogate kids she's opened her heart to all these years: volleyball kids, students, friends of the girls, our exchange kids - they're all family
23. My mom adores her, and always has. And Lynn has been wonderful to my mom.
24. I'd rather spend time with her than anyone else on the planet. I love that she's my best friend.
25. I love how she hates to spend money on herself. I get to feel like I'm spoiling her by saying yes.
26. I love how her strengths complement my weaknesses, and vice versa.
27. She still makes my heart skip a beat with her 'hey, Sailor' look.
28. I love that she doesn't complain about all the projects I start but don't finish.
29. I love how much I admire her character.
30. I love how much I'm looking forward to whatever comes next, as long as we're together.

Happy Anniversary, Honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment