Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Catching Up

I've received requests for an update on my job status. Well, I'm still unemployed. The change job in Chicago evaporated, which I attribute to the resume posted on Monster.com. (Not to be confused with the vastly improved version my friend Kate helped me create, but it's too big a file to re-post on Monster. I don't know enough about setting up document templates in Word to be able to fix it myself, so there you go.) Nevertheless, I won't be working in Lake Forest anytime soon. It's just as well, I guess, since I probably wouldn't pass the dress code in Lake Forest anyway.

Which leaves us with foregoing re-entry into the corporate world and striking out on my own. I've been working with a business broker for a while now, and am pursuing the purchase of a furniture refinishing business. We've agreed on a price, and are in negotiations with the landlord about either a lease or buying the property where the business is located. They aren't exactly what you would call motivated sellers, so the negotiation isn't moving very quickly. Nor is it moving particularly towards a place I want to go. So, it would seem if I buy the business, my first major change will be to relocate. The broker and I are scouting potential locations.

The fly in the ointment is that the refinishing process utilizes all kinds of hazardous materials, so it will not doubt be a bit of a hassle to move. Can you Google "moving hazardous materials" to find out all the local, state and federal hoops to jump through? I doubt it. My guess is that it's like dealing with corporate bosses : what do you want? We don't know, but it's not whatever you've done...

Stay tuned, where our next adventure will involve trying to secure financing!

No comments:

Post a Comment